Sunday, May 17, 2009

20 miles, are you kidding?

Two weeks exactly has passed since the Colorado Marathon, and 3 weeks remains till Steamboat. After my 10 last weekend, in which I stopped every 2.5 miles to walk and give myself a break, I had been feeling stronger each day as I ran. Although last night, I ran .10 miles after work. My boss is out of town, and I worked 6 days and about 58 hours. I figured I was entitled. I went home and showered instead, meeting my buddy Sean at the Town Pump, Ft. Collins' smallest bar, and then we went to Coopersmiths before I came home and called it a night. It had been a long week for both of us, and I needed some sleep in advance of the 20 miler. I had been feeling good on most my runs, so I felt confident.

I went to Gib's NY Bagel shop this morning. http://gibsbagels.com/ and had breakfast. I came home and did laundry for a few, and got out for the run around 10:30 am. It was already 70 degrees. I felt pretty good for the first half of the run, but by mile 13, I had stopped sweating, which is bad. It meant I was dehydrated. Long story short, I pushed till 18 or so before it really started to go bad. At 18.5, an ice cream truck went by. The fact I had no money on me is the only reason the big ice cream cookie is not still in my belly. I wrapped up the run, my calves, and my toe were hurting, but not injured. Looks like Steamboat is a go.

I really hope to BQ in Steamboat. Part of the reason why is that I will not have to run a fall marathon then. I can run 5 and 10 k's for the summer, build base, but mostly is that I can still go to Chicago in October without having to worry about marathoning the next weekend. It's a trip I've grown to love, although for different reasons this year. I'm starting to think it's importaint that I go.

With a change in what I usually do during the summers, I have made plans to go out east this year. I booked a flight to the east coast on Friday to see a friend of mine, that I am sure never thought I would make my way out to visit him, I hope the big city is ready for a little country. And I hope that they are all ready to see me.

Next Monday is Boulder. I signed up last week. It's a special race for me, and another milestone race. This and Horsetooth are the only races that I have done each year since I started running. I'm very excited this year, and the weather looks good for a nice race. I don't know what to expect out of Boulder, except a good time, but I can't wait.

Thanks for reading this everyone, not much to report now, but felt like I wanted to say hi.

No comments: