Monday, May 4, 2009

Colorado Marathon

I posted a pretty long race report on RW, but thought I would do something a little more complete here, if for nothing more than having it for myself, as the RW one will slide off the front page and be lost for all time in the next day or so. I had some things on my mind that I thought running this race would help, help me move on, help me find peace. What I found is that when I woke up race morning, as I got ready to catch the bus up to the start line, a lot of memories from last years pre race were there. I smiled a lot, and was very much distracted.

I spoke of my training log in my last post, how little I had run. On Friday I went to the running store, bought some GU's, which I hadn't even used one since this same marathon last year. I had 2 Powerbar Gels from a previous missed long run, so I bought 3 Gu packs, called rocket or something. I mention this because it shows how really unprepared I was. I also switched Gatorade flavors to carry to, because the Fruit Punch might have stained my new "Kal" racing shirt I made. I bought some orange on my way to the buses.

Once I stepped on the bus though, I filled with fear. The last time my legs saw 20 miles was this marathon last year. I felt ok, but as I talked about in my last entry, I had done very little running the last month or so. My weight was up to around 182, and I had been biking and using an eliptical, but not nearly enough for a guy who was trying to marathon. I really thought about asking them to let me off the bus.

We got up the canyon and I was so nervous. I watched the digital thermomoter on the bus continue to drop as we headed up the canyon, till it settled around 37. My drop bag had some warmer weather stuff in it, but turns out it was perfect. The girl from Fox 31 in Denver was running so I watched their news the night before, figuring on a weather report geared to this event. They said rain and 30's. There wasn't a cloud in the sky though. Another perfect race day. I met Jon, Victoria, and Sean, three people I met from RW the day before at the start line. And literally before I knew it, the gun went off...

Miles:
1 : 7:58
2: 7:46
3: 7:42
4: 7:23
5: 7:32
6: 7:48
7: 7:34
8: 7:53
9: 7:45
10: 7:40
11: 7:56
12: 7:54
13: 7:52
14: 7:43
15: 7:48
16: 7:50
17: 7:49
18: 7:47
19: 8:01 Here we go. The one thing I will say is that I was amazed how long it took for me to get into the 8's. Plus this had the first big uphill on ot once you are out of the canyon.
20: 8:10
21: 7:59 No clue how that happened
22: 8:19
23: 8:50
24: 8:39
25: 8:59
26: 8:42
.38: 3:47

3:30:41 on the gun.


At the 8 mile mark, I was doing the math in my head, if I sped up, I could still run a BQ I told myself. That thought lasted about 30 seconds. I went through the half about 3 minutes faster than I ran the Horsetooth Half 2 weeks prior. Around 17 or so, I started to think about beating last years time. Around 20, I was thinking I could get in under 3:30. It's easy to see that the last 6 or so miles were hard on me, they have been each other time I've run a marathon. The last miles seemed easier to me. At least easier than before.

I spoke before of how this run was supposed to be a sort of therapy for me, thinking I would go out and get lost in the beauty of the canyons, the river, the trees. I was out there for 3.5 hours and except for one location around mile 18 or so, I thought about the run the entire time. I don't remember much of what I was thinking at that point, but the race was on my mind the entire time. This was a completely musicless race for me. I did not wear an IPOD for any runs during the training and did the race with nothing but my thoughts.

The entire way down the canyon, I thought about watching my pace. At the 10k mark, when I screamed out "Just 20 to go.", the crowd seemed less than impressed. Tight asses. As I climbed the hill to Ted's Place, right around mile 17, there was tremendous crowd support. A got called Kal a couple times, since it was on my shirt, and also had people say I was still smiling. I was because I was happy knowing that within a couple miles, even if I crashed, I could still walk in and have a 4 hour marathon. Around 18 or so, a kid from the Marines and I started running together and talking. He said he could feel cramps coming on, and we distracted each other with talks of other marathons and times we had run. When I hung the corner to get on the bike trail, I remember my legs locking up at that point last year, but I pushed on. As I crossed the wooden bridges where the last miles are ran, and also where I had been running about 4 times a week before the injuries, and where the HTH finished, I shuffled off to the dirt trail that runs along the path and used it for a lot more of the race. I told myself, just make the tunnel that's halfway to the next water station, and you can walk for a little while. When I reached the tunnel, I talked myself into making that water station. I walked through every one, start to finish. I carried my own Gatorade, but got water and a few second break at each one. It made a lot of difference for me. Just after that water station, someone says "Keep it up Kal, nice job." I looked over, and the kid who caught me at mile 4 of Horsetooth was there. I asked him why it took him that long to catch me, lol. I'm proud to say, I saw his first post on the marathon thread this morning. I made the next water station, walked through it, and got going once more. About another half mile or so, me and a kid from Utah started to talk. He had run RNRAZ in January and was doing this, same as I did last year. He wanted to stop and walk and I told him just to stay with me till the water stop, we would walk through it and go to the finish. As we approached about 25.5, there are 2 hills there that you have to do. I warned him about them, seeing as he had never run the course before. We hung the last corner and had about .40 to go, he took off, and I had nothing left. I went in as fast as I could, but it was more like a jog, a lot like the rest of the run.

I learned more about marathoning on this one day than I had ever known before. I didn't run in Chicago because I was unprepared, but also because I was scared. When this same race went bad for me last year, it was the worst thing that had ever happened to me in my running career. I was afraid of how it felt at the end, how when it got tough that I would quit and I didn't want that feeling again, never in my life. I learned a lot about myself yesterday. More than I have in a long time. And I hope to apply it in the next 5 weeks, and for the rest of my running career.

Thanks to Stephen and Kyle, both of you helped a lot the day before the race. Sean, both my buddy from here, and from Wyoming, you guys are awesome, as was Jon, and everyone else I met this weekend.

So I have 5 weeks to Steamboat. I'm trying to figure out a running schedule that gets me there, and gets me 15 minutes in about 2 weeks. A lot of those minutes will be confidence. There is a half in Denver I might race on the 17th, then the Boldre Boulder is on the 25th. Then I would have a 13 day taper into Steamboat. Where to stick a 20 miler in there is the question, as I don't think I can do it this weekend. I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

cmmoore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Van 1- Hall said...

good to see you learned something for further training, thats almost better than any PR. See ya in Steamboat!